Art and Ray’s Lock and Safe
Art and Ray’s Lock Shop opened the books on December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor Day. Art Crothers and Ray Burkhart pooled $500.00 and purchased Grover Wood’s Repair Shop at 211 Ryman Avenue which had been in existence since 1908. When Art and Ray opened the doors the following day, the United States was at war with Japan and Art and Ray’s Lock Shop was born. Art and Ray ran the shop for about 8+ years when suddenly Art passed away Ray Burkhart continued Art and Ray’s Lock Shop as sole owner until 1965 when he sold the business to Roy P. Heckert, Roy chose to keep the name, Art and Ray’s Lock Shop. In 1975, Art and Ray’s Lock Shop was purchased by Mr. Heckert’s son-in-law, James Watt. who slightly changed the name to Art and Ray’s Lock and Safe to reflect the expansion of the shop to include more safe and safe work. James continues this day as the present owner.
The shop had undergone several changes from it’s original concept in 1908 with subsequent down sizing from over 1500 sq ft until the current size in 19892 of only 900 sq ft, In 1982, the James moved Art and Rays from 211 Ryman Avenue to 218 West Main (just around the corner) and grew it size to 4790 sq ft. Art and Rays services expanded the standard locksmithing services provided to include more auto locksmithing Safes, Vaults, Access Control Systems, High Security locking systems and alarm systems in addition for almost 75 years.
Through various locksmith educational opportunities, the technicians at Art and Ray’s consistently strive to keep abreast of the latest physical security technology with the newest innovations in mechanical and electro-mechanical locking systems, access control (credentialed and biometric) and video surveillance (CCTV).